Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Matching Stubs W/Smith Chart

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Matching Stubs W/Smith Chart
From: "Ward Silver" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 07:53:44 -0500
Can anyone recommend any tutorials for learning how to read a smith chart and also using the Sim Smith application ?
I want to be able to design coax matching stubs and am a total newbie.
The smith chart is intimidating to me but I thought I would see if I could master it.

Assuming you are an ARRL member, you can also read Hands-On Radio columns #59, #60, and #61 on the Smith chart at These are a slightly different perspective than the usual descriptions and may be a useful alternate explanation. The Smith chart tutorial is on the CD-ROM included with the ARRL Antenna Book starting with the 22nd edition. Once you get the hang of SimSmith, you'll find that it is a really valuable tool.

73, Ward N0AX