Re: [TowerTalk] 43 feet pole for vertical

To: "Kelly Taylor" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43 feet pole for vertical
From: "Rick Karlquist" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 15:02:34 -0700
Kelly Taylor wrote:

> The model I seem to recall, either by K9YC or W8JI, involved the feedline
> running to the base of the tower to a choke and then up the tower to
> another
> choke at the feedpoint.

And after all that, the elevation pattern would be considerably
inferior to a dipole, as documented in the ARRL Antenna Handbook
in a graph illustrating the pseudo Brewster angle effects for
horizontal vs vertical polarization.  There is a reason why
you rarely see vertically polarized antennas on a tower, unless
ground wave propagation is involved.

Rick N6RK