Re: [TowerTalk] NEW Tail Twister Rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] NEW Tail Twister Rotator
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 11:03:26 -0500
On 11/3/2012 4:08 PM, Doug Renwick wrote:
The first thing you do with a HDR-300 is remove the stops.  If it rotates
past the stops, things break.  By pass or remove the stops.
The HDR-300 does not have a wedge break like the Ham or Tailtwister.
The shaft keyways in the HDR-300 are poorly designed resulting in worn
keyways with lot of play.  Unless you braze the shaft to the large gear or
redesign the shaft keyways, it will end with a lot of play which will get
worse and worse as the keyway wears.
One does not need to raise the mast to remove a HDR-300, and generally with
a Ham/Tailtwister.  Just leave say half inch gap between the mast end and
the rotor end.

Unfortunately working alone doesn't always come out quite as planned.

I'm just finishing up a winch to go on the tractor to give me more control.

73

Roger (K8RI)

BTW HDR-300 with ac motor do not work as well as other dc motors when used
with a Green Heron controller.
An Alfa Spid is a good rotor.

Doug

I'll run the race and I will never be the same again