[TowerTalk] ground rod depth problem due to rocky soil -- solutions?

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ground rod depth problem due to rocky soil -- solutions?
From: Mat Eshpeter <kk1c@live.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:30:39 -0500
I am finally getting around to putting up my 60' AN Wireless tower on top of a
rocky ridge in WV. I rented a Hilti demo hammer and got about 1/3 of my rods in
to the ground at least 4' -- but the majority are only 2 or 3 feet deep because
of the rocks/ledges. I don't think I have much of a choice other than to cut
the rods off and drive the remnants into the ground field and exothermically
weld my 20 gauge copper strap to all of these shallow rods.
Other than paying big money for a well drilling rig to drill some deep 6" holes
and filling them with bentonite (which may not be possible given the slope of
the land and the fact that I now have 8 trenches running 75' out from the tower
pad) do I have any other practical alternatives?
tnx,Matkk1c