Re: [TowerTalk] ground rod depth problem - and understanding ground rods

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground rod depth problem - and understanding ground rods
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:38:32 -0600 (CST)
now you are in my area of kind of expertise...  yes, the ground response to
high current lightning is very non-linear.
classically it has been represented by an equation put forth by Weck, search
for 'weck ground resistance' and you'll
get lots of references, one quickie:
http://www.ipst.org/techpapers/2011/papers/39.pdf (see page 2, equations 6 and
7).
where i work we have done full scale ground tests and improved on those basic
models a bit for the software products
i work on.  and yes, measuring it is hard, it is fun to watch streamers go
across wet grass in the morning when you really
want it to go down the rod.  the basic result is that resistance goes down
quickly as the current goes up, as a quick example
take a 2 rod ground system measuring 25 ohms with standard instruments, it will
drop to 15 ohms or less with 20kA going
into it.

encasing the rod in concrete increases the effective diameter and thus the
starting resistance... but it reduces the ionization
so the reduction during the stroke is less... in fact for ufer type grounds we
do not model any non-linearity.  but since it starts
at a lower resistance the ionization isn't that important.  damage to concrete
encased rods or foundation rebar is rare
because concrete is a good conductor and the rod/rebar has significant surface
area to spread out the charge.  encasing
ground rods in concrete or bentonite is used in extreme cases, usually where
towers are on solid rock, but it is expensive
so it is only done in rare cases.  there is(was?  haven't heard from them in a
while) also a company that was producing a
special conductive concrete that had some kind of additive in it that made it
even better for grounding, and so conductive
they were trying to market it as a resistive heating material for runways or
driveways.

there are lots of answers out there, but also lots of myths... and many people
end up over doing the grounding.  my
recommendation for tower grounding (unless you live in central florida) is to
do the minimum required by local code and
call it done... spend more time on the single point entrance ground.