Re: [TowerTalk] 6 meter antenna height

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 meter antenna height
From: Jay Kesterson K0GU <k0gu@verinet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 14:03:29 -0700
If you only have one antenna I would go as high as possible if you have good coax. Perhaps tempering the height a bit to keep it away from from big HF antennas to some degree.

In the summertime Es is the the main prop mode. IMO the angle of long haul DX on Es is more or less the angle of the first hop. There was an amazing opening to EU on June 29th from the western US (especially NW US). My old array with an average height of 63 feet was best most of the time. But I had a little run of F stations that were stronger on a single yagi at 44 feet. So especially on Es higher isn't always better. However IMO on the vast majority of DX the angle is below 7 degrees, probably several degrees below, which is where my old array rolled off gain wise. But every once in a while the angle can go way up. I have a friend in MT that has an 11 degrees horizon toward EU. He had never even heard EU much less work it on Es until the June 29th opening. But I think angle that high is somewhat of an anomaly.

F2 and TEP are lower angle generally. But this poor sunspot cycle hasn't been kind to 6m in the US. However if you are in say Florida you will have TEP to S.A. much more often (as you know).

KH7XS   50105.0   PY1NX   0147z   2012-Nov-16

If you get interested at all in 6m the obvious solution, and desire, will be to have a high and low antenna. With the high antenna being as high as possible considering coax, etc and the lower around maybe 35-40 feet. 55 feet over flat ground is a pretty good one size fits all the angles height. But lacks a bit on the low angle.

WARNING: 6m is addictive

73,  Jay  K0GU