[TowerTalk] Tower or pole; opinions please

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower or pole; opinions please
From: Rip R <cw.op.montana@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 06:50:20 -0700
The purpose of this email is to seek a solution for getting a hex beam up
about 30+ feet.
It is Thanksgiving morning here in Montana and I am sitting in the shack
thinking about
a couple of things in addition to a big meal and football. The CQ CW DX is
this weekend
and that is certainly something that I look forward to in November. For the
past 6 years,
I have been using a Force 12 5-band vertical dipole and it has worked well
for my
situation (i.e. relative small back yard and antenna height restriction). I
have been
keeping an eye on what other hams have been pleased with in terms of an HF
antenna
that fits my situation and think that a hex beam just might be the answer.
The question
now is whether I dig a hole for a Rohn 25G tower or use a pole set-up like
is offered
by Penninger Radio (aluminum with tipper). I am trying to be open minded
and getting
all the information available before I order any material or antennas. I
regret that I did
not get started on this project before the snow started to fly around here!!

At any rate, your opinions would certainly be welcomed on either the
tower/pole
solution and/or the hex beam antenna. Thanks in advance and see you on the
bands.
73s  Roger Rippy   W7RIP   Bozeman, MT