Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator cable and mast questions

To: 'Andreas Hofmann' <Andreas.Hofmann@microsoft.com>, "'towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator cable and mast questions
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 11:04:10 -0500
When I first read this I thought, "yet another ham overengineering thing".
Then I actually did the engineering.

400' of 12 AWG annealed is 0.635 ohms, whould would drop approximately 2.5
volts at 4 amps.
The same run with 16 AWG would drop about 6.5 volts.
The same run with 10 AWG would drop 1.6 volts.

I came to 2 conclusions:
1. Rotator motors should be designed for 24, or better, 48v!
2. 12/2 is a reasonable compromise, though 10 AWG wire is only about $0.10 per
foot more.

Al
AB2ZY