Re: [TowerTalk] HyTower guying

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyTower guying
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 13:19:42 -0600
There is an alternative to Big Grips, which uses epoxy to form an enlarged end on the Phillystran to terminate it. I don't think making a fairly sharp bend in Phillystran is conducive to a long service life. Bending Phillystran around a thimble and clamping could cause problems, especially if the radius of the thimble is rather small. Historically one of the engineering challenges with aramid fibers and their kin is their being easily broken if flexed too far.

Just 3 days ago I guyed my Hy-Gain Hy-Tower at the top (24 ft level) of the triangular tower portion using Phillystran and Big Grips (work like Chineese finger grabbers.) It is installed atop a 36x76 metal bld where the wind is stronger than ground level and ground level gets interesting winds (South Central Oklahoma at the heart of Tornado Alley.)

73 Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Pete Smith N4ZR