Re: [TowerTalk] beam antenna truss

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] beam antenna truss
From: Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 16:20:22 -0800 (PST)
Steve,

My F12 C-4XL specified steel wire rope.  The yagi came
to me used, and the wire rope was thoroughly rusted.
Rather than second-guess the manufacturer, I replaced
it with 19 strand stainless steel wire rope, and the
yagi works fine.  The hardware is all SS & aluminum.
There are eyebolts through the boom, etc.  As I have
a half wavelength 10m vertical on top just above the
truss wires, the truss wires serve as radials on 10m.

If you elect to use nonconductive support, Phillystran
or polyester (aka Dacron®) is fine but so is Nylon.
I've used the latter for decades to support wire
antennas. Double-braided construction minimizes
stretch, and Nylon stands up well to sunlight.

I think we can all agree that electrogalvanized
steel should not be used.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC