Re: [TowerTalk] mast for two big antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] mast for two big antennas
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:41:33 -0800
On 12/27/12 10:19 AM, Mike Ryan wrote:

This is 4130 chrome molly steel tubing. The word tubing is the primary
descriptor I think, in that there is no seam such as you might find when
using some kind of pipe. I bought a half dozen or so 24 ft lengths from
the Dillsburg Aeroplane Works up in Pennsylvania back in the late '80s
when I was putting together a station in northern Virginia.  I had them
galvanized before using them. These were 125,000 psi tubes very similar
to the materials used to build racing car safety cages as I recall.

I'm not a metallurgist, but wonder if the heat from the galvanizing (I assume it was done hot-dip into molten zinc) affects the heat treatment. While that might not change the alloy composition, it might change the yield strength.

My little handbook says 4130 cold-drawn is tensile strength 85-110kpsi, yield of 70-85kpsi.

My understanding is that non-heat treated CrMo is fairly soft (hence the low yield strength) and not a whole lot "stronger" than 1XXX type steels. However, if heat treated it's a whole lot stronger (and more stiff/brittle, as well) so it gets used for suspension components, axles, and the like.

I suppose that we're constrained by the OD to fit in clamps, bushings, bearings and the like, but I wonder if a larger diameter tube of cheaper thinner steel might not be an easier way to go (lifting a 20 foot stick of 2" tubing with 1/4" wall is going to be a chore). That r^4 term really helps a lot..