Re: [TowerTalk] Bye Bye Birdies

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bye Bye Birdies
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 21:16:06 -0800
On 12/28/12 9:11 PM, Bob K6UJ wrote:
Another option for bird control is to get one of the plastic owls and put him
up on the tribander.
My results were negative, evidently the birds in our area aren't scared of owls
because the owl didn't help at all.
When i took it down I discovered the birds had crapped all over it.   :-)

my in-laws experience with their vineyard was that birds are discouraged by novelty and change. reflective ribbons one week, owls the next, etc. That doesn't lend itself to antennas

the other strategy which seems to work quite well is to make what ever it is "not sittable on". those funky plastic spiky things or string/monofilament.

Of course, neither of the latter are particularly easy to do on something like a multielement beam, especially if you want it to last for decades.

For ordinary wire antennas.. I suppose, if you use strong enough copper clad steel, the birds can just sit on the wire forever.