Re: [TowerTalk] Earthing a tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Earthing a tower
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 23:21:33 -0500
On 12/30/2012 2:14 PM, ve4xt@mymts.net wrote:
Another repetition of the exploding base myth.

If concrete is so explosive, and such a poor conductor, why is it often used to
assist with rod-earth connections?

As well, the very existence of the Ufer ground pretty much debunks the
exploding base mythology.

The NWS even has video showing what could be construed as the exploding base and it is no myth, BUT we need to be able to separate cause from hearsay.

I have seen pictures of concrete blown apart from lightning strikes and some of those were from the NWS so I believe them. However in those cases we need to ask WHY did the concrete either blow apart, or crack so badly it had to be replaced.

Concrete by itself is not explosive. The resistivity in ohms per cubic centimeter is relatively high and after cure the moisture content is relatively low. This means that in a "properly designed and constructed tower base" (please note the emphasis on that phrase!) that current density will be quite low and should cause no structural damage even with a so-called super strike, BUT in a poorly designed and/or constructed base it is easy to realize conditions where the current density can be very high in some localized spots/locations and in those instances the damage can be spectacular, particularly if you are close when the strike occurs!

The UFER ground depends on a low current density to work well and to maintain its structural integrity. It does this by having a large volume, a large contact area with the surrounding soil, and a large, intimate contact with the tower through the rerod in the base.

Typically the point where the metal enters the concrete becomes cracked or the metal becomes rusted. In either case moisture can enter the concrete and flow along the metal. This leaves a small gap that is a wet, high resistance area that the high current must jump across. This produces some very hot, high pressure steam almost instantly and that produces a tremendous pressure with a force comparable to Dynamite.

So with a properly designed ground system, be it UFER or ring It's likely that more damage will be caused by voltage induced into the house electrical wiring than will come in on the coax from the tower and this is assuming a good single point ground where the cables enter the house.

So, yes a super strike can blow a poorly designed and/or implemented ground, or base apart, but it's unlikely it will do so with an adequate one.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73,
Kelly