Re: [TowerTalk] Motorized Winch for US Tower

To: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Motorized Winch for US Tower
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 08:14:17 -0800

On 1/2/2013 9:40 PM, K8RI wrote:

I think the point to remember is that drill motors are not designed for
continuous duty, not even the heavy duty ones. I burned up a brand new,
heavy duty Dewalt hammer drill, drilling 3/4" holes in a guy anchor
brace in under 5 minutes.

I have to rest my Milwaukee drill and use it at about 1/3 to 1/2 duty
cycle because it gets hot.  I haven't burned it out, but it loses a
lot of power when hot.  This is find because it keeps the winch from
overheating too.

I am a lot more worried about the winch failing than the drill failing.
A failed drill does not put the tower at risk. And in a motorized winch, the motor does not put the tower at risk in any event. What
I am worried about in a motorized winch is any sort of "brake" that
may fail.  I think you still want a worm drive in a motorized winch
as a safety mechanism.

Rick N6RK