Re: [TowerTalk] Source for 2" OD Mast

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Source for 2" OD Mast
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 14:27:15 -0800
On 1/4/13 2:17 PM, W2GR@aol.com wrote:
I have been using 1 1/2 galvanized pipe for years on the tower with never a

So would I mount the Pro-67 12 feet up on it?..well no....so I guess it all
  depends what you want/need to have set up may require Chrome moly or what
ever...but for my needs and price wise...Pipe works for me...

Yeah.   Never use pipe.    It is designed to be bent.   What you want is
2026 DOM or  chrome moly "tubing".

It depends on what your goal is.. pipe may be softer (lower yield) than some CrMo tubing, but that doesn't mean it's not strong enough. It's all about the loads and the size of the tubing. There's a fair amount of construction that uses (somewhat larger) pipe as structural members. (where pipe is used here to mean something rolled and welded, as opposed to drawn tubing).

It also is about what the consequences of a failure are.. if it's "mast bent, but antennas stay in the air and don't come crashing to the ground" that's different than "pipe fractures and hundreds of pounds of stuff hurtles to the ground followed by rotator cable and coax"