[TowerTalk] Grounding with LNAs half-way between the antenna and shack

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding with LNAs half-way between the antenna and shack
From: "Andrew J. Buckler (BBMSC)" <andrew.buckler@bbmsc.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 02:32:07 +0000
Hello,
It is with some trepidation that I ask a grounding question, as I know there
are many aspects. But I've seen very useful feedback for other people posting
inquiries, so here goes. Forgive any infractions inherent in my proposed setup!
The point is to learn so as to make it the best it can be.

I am setting up the following design:

1.     Cross-polarized EME yagi's at 60' from antennas to foundation entrance,
with heliax from antenna to a box with LNAs (SSB electronics) for each
polarization, T/R switching, and the connector junction from the heliax on one
side and LMR400 on the other side. (Note: I am aware that often the LNAs are
tower mounted. Bill of InnovAntennas suggests that it is a good tradeoff to
have the LNAs more accessible, as long as there is < .5db in front of them,
which is why I am using the heliax).

2.     Then, a relatively tortuous 40' of LMR400 for each receive polarization
(to the matched receivers, LinkRF) as well as one for the transmit (to the
linear, homebrew using W6PQL design). For configurability of the various
equipment, the LMR400s will end in a connector plate on the main plate (bonded
to it).

3.     Intention is to run a ground braid along with the LMR400s to bond the
LNA box to the shack's single point ground plate, which is copper and bonded to
the load center and with all shack equipment running to it.

4.     As such, there are two opportunities to ground the outer conductor of
the feedlines; one at the shack single point ground plate, and another at the
LNA box.

5.     I will also have feedlines for other bands as well as the az-el rotor
cabling following the same course.

My questions:

a.     Should I use PolyPhasers, and if so, at the LNA box or at the shack
ground plate? (with the other using simpler bulkhead feedthroughs bolted into
holes).

b.    Do I need the extra braid mentioned in step 3 above, or does it suffice
that the LMR400 braids are already doing that?

Please be gentle! I'm asking to learn.

Best regards,
Andy, K2OP
-------------------------------------
Andrew J. Buckler, Principal
BBMSC
225 Main Street, Suite 15 | Wenham, MA  01984  USA
Office: +1-978-468-0508
Fax: +1-978-468-0527
andrew.buckler@bbmsc.com<mailto:andrew.buckler@bbmsc.com> |
www.bbmsc.com<http://www.bbmsc.com/>

This e-mail is from Buckler Biomedical Sciences LLC, a scientific research
firm, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy or distribute the e-mail or
any attachments. Instead, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail and
any attachments. Thank you.