[TowerTalk] [Towertalk] Caps (was: Hose Clamps)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] [Towertalk] Caps (was: Hose Clamps)
From: n8cc@mei.net
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:21:12 -0500

***Comments below
Are bugs and spiders in elements a problem
for you?  I am not an entomologist, but with the exception of
wasps, most of the bugs and spiders that I see are closer to the
ground.  I think that you are more likely to have them inside
your PVC furnace exhaust which is not covered at all and would cause
a serious malfunction if blocked.  Even if they were inside
your tubing, I think that a spider would be less harmful to your
antenna than an element full of water.

John KK9A

***I'm not an entomologist, and I didn't even stay at a
Holiday Inn Express last night.
Amazingly, I
have TWO friends who have trapped multiband antennas at heights
of 80
and 110 feet who had their traps PACKED with dead bugs
and their nesting materials.
I wouldn't have believed it if I
hadn't seen it myself.  I actually helped put up one of
them,
so I know for sure it was clean at the time of
installation.  Little devils are relentless!

Also, even without the bugs, HyGain recommended poly rope in the
elements as a
vibration dampening measure.  A little
bit of the poly is frayed out and folded around
the
element end, and held in place by the end cap.  At least for as
long as the end
cap lasts!  Right now I have a
couple of antennas with a few inches of rope dangling
from the
element ends.  Unsightly....

Jeff - N8CC