[TowerTalk] Where do UST fail? My story

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Where do UST fail? My story
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 04:56:52 +0000 (GMT)
During Hurricane Sandy, a large tree fell perfectly into my TX472.  I couldn't
have done thatif I tried.  At the time (I knew the hurricane was coming) I had
cranked it down about 1/2 way.  Windswere forecast to reach 50mph, so this was
plenty of safety factor.The tower failed at the base (see link below,
especially the last 4 slides).  It did not fall, it bent.W2GD has now stripped
the tower of the ugly bent aluminum and retracted the tower.  The tower lowered
almost all the way without issue.  So the other sections stayed straight.The
weak point, at least in this circumstance, was the bottom of the
bottom.https://picasaweb.google.com/dougzzz/HurricaneSandyOct292012de Doug KR2Q