Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower Remote Kit (need a solution)

To: "David Jordan" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower Remote Kit (need a solution)
From: bill steffey NY9H <ny9h@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:30:41 -0500
when i bought my hdx572 i was not going to give UST $ 1000 for
a remote box....

first a reminder, with your manual switch .... while the tower is going down , flip the switch to up.... take BIG notice that IT IS STILL GOING DOWN.
xxxx  YOU HAVE JUST SWITCHED TO THE UP LIMIT SWITCH.
NOW, STOP THE TOWER... AS THE LIMIT SWITCH WILL NOT STOP THE TOWER. You must allow the motor to stop ...before changing directions,
or else ....you will NOT have the correct limit switch in line.

SOOOO when I installed my remote system, I included 2 nice plug-in delay relays...( thanks ebay 6$ ea) ....

the inside switch ( where I can see & HEAR the tower...) or a switch in the tower base enclosure chooses up/off/down... another switch determines control point in/out.

The delay relays fire two large contactors which I already had, which are good for 100A @ 220. and handle the motor currents easily.( the delay relays did not).

Listening to the motor and tower grind and squeak proves to be a great tool for assuring oneself of system longevity. If it does not sound just right...
I'll wander out the 150 feet.
last four pix here have my drawings....  crude

https://picasaweb.google.com/Bill.SteffeySr/TOWERINSTALLNY9H3

if you were in western PA you could come check it out...

bill  ny9h/3