[TowerTalk] dipole z vs height

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] dipole z vs height
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 07:18:26 -0800
Starting new thread..

It will have an effect, but I don't know about a huge one. Here's some sample data from a dipole at 3.68 MHz, with legs 19.646m long, copper wire.

Two soil conditions 14/.005, 5/.001 the former is moderately wet, the latter definitely dry.
three heights above ground 10,20,30 meters

ht      Z wet           Z dry
10      52.4+j7.63      65.5-j1.78
20      84.6+j1.39      81.2-j7.17
30      85.7-j24.1      80.1-j77.9

Ignore spurious digits of accuracy..I just copied lazily

10m is pretty low (1/8th wavelength).. and as Jim K9YC pointed out, the Z is close to 50 ohms 30m is getting up there >3/8 wavelength and the soil has less effect. It looks like the antenna is a bit off tuned, but the Z is definitely closer to the "free space" 72 ohms (and given I modeled with copper wire, you'd expect a bit higher from the resistance).

And, pretty much as expected, the soil moisture has small effect at 30m (and even at 20), but a bigger effect at 10 meter heights. The big effect of moisture is also the change in resonant frequency, more than the actual Z (that is, it has a bigger effect on the imaginary term)

In any case, my own experience has been that an antenna makes a lousy way to measure soil properties, even if it's *laying on the ground* (something that when I researched the literature, I found others seem to agree with me, hence the popularity of things like OWL probes)

--
Jim, you may well find that the resonant frequency as well as impedance of your dipole increases as you raise the height above ground. Ground moisture and resulting conductivity and dielectric constant changes have quite an influence on both impedance and frequency.
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 2/20/2013 4:48:17 A.M. Central Standard Time,