Re: [TowerTalk] Water in buried conduit

To: Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water in buried conduit
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:10:17 -0500
You should not have water in conduit, although it is widely accepted.
Sooner or later it will freeze and break the conduit or route water into a
place that you don't want it - like your shack. You can blow it out with
compressed air or suck it out with a shop vac.

Open ends should be sheltered with a weather hood at minimum with a
waterproof box, such as a NEMA 3 or 4 enclosure. I use a gland-type cable
at the bottom only of these boxes to route loose cables out the box if not
using conduit.

An upside down U, with the cables exiting down and a drip loop in the
routing would be the bare minimum for me. In this case, you could use a
foam sealant (in a can or pieces of closed cell foam) stuffed around the
cable of the weather exposed cable.

I use a service entry weather head to route cable into the run from my
tower sealed with spray foam. No critters, no water.

73,

Mickey N4MB