Re: [TowerTalk] OR-2800 - thrust nearings, use em.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OR-2800 - thrust nearings, use em.
From: Les Kalmus <w2lk@bk-lk.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 13:46:09 -0500
I have reconstructed my OR-2800.
The weight of the mast sits on a bearing which is supported by the outer case of the rotor and then the shelf under it. When the mast rotates, this bearing supporting the weight, also rotates and is the main support for the antenna system.

The motor and its associated gear train do not directly carry any weight.
I think Jason, with whom I have gone back and forth when I was working on my rotor, is saying that there is a published maximum load. Don't exceed that maximum and the less you put on the mechanism, the less wear and tear in the long run. I am pretty sure he is not saying that you need to support the antenna system weight with a thrust bearing. You probably should use a thrust bearing for vertical linearity with minimum friction while rotating.

Les W2LK