Re: [TowerTalk] Effect of element shape was: Re: InnovAntennascontact in

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Effect of element shape was: Re: InnovAntennascontact info
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:00:40 -0400
The shape does play a part in front to back and front to side.

G4ZU followed up his G4ZU birdcage (CQ May 1960) with his G4ZU X beam.
Moxon did not like the X-beam as it has excessive side radiation. W9PNE (now SK) decided that if he added away tails to each element that the side radiation would be reduced and the Front to back would be improved.

See the ARRL Antenna Compendium, Vol 1 with the antenna also shown in the ARRL Antenna Handbook 1990. Michael Harris had an excellent construction article on page 52-54 of 73 Magazine , April 1991.

I put up my 12 meter X-beam in 1991 and have great results with it reaching 232 DXCC entities including Spratly, Christmas Island, Cocos-Keeling, Cambodia and others which are hard to work from the SE USA. Most were worked barefoot at 100 watts. The X-beam is at 71 feet.

73 Dave K4JRB