Re: [TowerTalk] Question about winch cable size on UST TRX-100HD tilt wi

To: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question about winch cable size on UST TRX-100HD tilt winch for HDX-5106 (long)
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 21:36:42 -0700

On 3/22/2013 5:29 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
McMaster has lifting rated hand winches to 10k lbs and 3/4" wire rope,
pricey though. http://www.mcmaster.com/#hand-winches/=lztkj3

Thanks for your excellent comments.

As you say, the McMaster hand winches are pricey. The motorized boat lifts are more cost effective not even taking into account the
convenience factor.

I see what you are saying about the cable size.  Comparing to the
McMaster winches, the UST 5/16 cable is not overkill but underdesign
consistent with the winch itself being overloaded.  I think I
will have to get Lunmar to make me a custom drive drum.  The 5/16
inch cable, although not having a 5X safety factor, does have a
lot of experience here without failure, so I don't mind continuing
with it, especially since I am limited by the pulleys I have.
Going to 1/4 inch would be a reduction factor of about 2/3.

BTW, my old K2550 never worked well from the get go.  It wasn't
a question of weathering.  One of things I like about the Lunmar
equipment is that the motor and gears are enclosed in a weather
proof enclosure and the drive drum uses sealed bearings that
are OK out in the weather.  These things are designed to live
on a dock at the ocean and go through hurricanes.

Rick N6RK