Re: [TowerTalk] Low RFI diesel generator?

To: Rick Kiessig <kiessig@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Low RFI diesel generator?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 22:21:12 -0700
Many of the home backup gens here are 3600 rpm, not a bad compromise IMO considering the very low duty cycle. However, when I bought my Kohler the advice was to not go 3600 as the very low loading on the engine during the weekly test/exercise cycle frequently causes cylinder glazing and that leads to high oil consumption. So I ended up with a larger gen (40kw) than I wanted at 1800 rpm. 1200 and 900 rpm gensets are available for continuous duty and last nearly forever. I talked to a mechanic in Bora Bora who had a pair (100kw?) running for 15 years 24/7 with only injectors replaced.

I use propane (1000 gal tank) as fuel as diesel is tricky to store for long periods. In the US, the environmental codes for any useful gallon quantity require double tanks and special permits, a hassle and expense. A little moisture (tank condensation) and you get bacterial growth. I had a boat with 750 gallons on board and periodic pumpouts and filtering were needed in warm climates if the fuel wasn't used. Also the cetane rating deteriorates with time. Propane (or natural gas) is the cleanest least hassle least wear fuel, and propane is stable for long term storage with no maintenance. Natural gas might not be available in certain disaster situations.

As for RFI, none noticed from my spark plugged Kohler which is 50' from one tower, but I've heard that the newer diesel electronic injectors in light trucks can cause RFI in mobile applications.

As a suggestion, if diesel power is a must, you might ask the marine gen dealers/installers/mechanics near you for some advice, they all need to be RF quiet. Some other marine/commercial brands - Northern Lights, Caterpillar, Kohler, John Deere. Larger Onans are Cummins/Onans. Detroit Diesel makes bigger ones. Huge numbers of the legendary 71 series diesels (2 to16 cylinders) powered gensets in all sorts of applications and are available surplus.

Grant KZ1W