Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:52:57 -0700
On 4/16/2013 6:21 PM, john nistico wrote:
I am new to the program and having some trouble plotting a vertical yagi I want
to build for 80 meters anyone care to help?

Look at their example antennas, choose a simple vertical, save it with a new file name, change the length to put it on 80M, study that and get comfortable with how it behaves, and look at the elements that define it. There will be a wire connected to ground, and there will be a source at the bottom end of it. Tweak the length of the antenna so that the SWR bandwidth is centered where you want it, plot the vertical pattern and study it.

Once you've done all that, open the wire menu, and add a second vertical element that's about 5% taller than the first, placing it perhaps 0.2 wavelength away. Do NOT put a source in it. Now plot the SWR and pattern of this new antenna, which is a simple 2-element vertical Yagi. Make some notes of the gain, and compute it at the center of your bandwidth, and again 100 kHz above and below. Also look at the SWR curve.

Next, try changing the spacing between the two elements (leave the driven where it is, move the reflector perhaps 5-10 ft at a time), and do the same plots you did before. Also try shortening the reflector 2% or so. And so on. Spend all day doing this (or maybe two days) and by the time you've done that you will have learned how simple 2-element arrays work, and you'll be more comfortable with EZNEC.

You're lucky -- this is a nice, simple antenna to model, but you can learn a lot about both the antenna and NEC by this sort of process. I know -- I've done something quite similar with a 2-element horizontal Yagi for 80M.

73, Jim K9YC