Re: [TowerTalk] 3" Mast

To: towertalk@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 3" Mast
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 10:40:37 -0400 (EDT)
>  I am looking to purchase a 3" diameter mast, preferably  chrome moly. I
purchased a 2 7/8 CM mast years ago from K5RC however he no  longer sells
them. This has worked well for me except 3" diameter would have  been a
better fit for my rotator and antenna clamps. Since I do not see  anyone
selling 3" masts, I guess I will have to purchase the material  and
galvanize it. What are the specs that I should look for when  ordering
chrome moly tubing. 1020 DOM may also be an option. Are there  any
recommended suppliers for either of these materials?

    It's not too difficult. Check your local yellow  pages for a Steel
Supplier.

    It's been my experience that only a very few  installations actually
need chromoly. An SAE 1026 or A530 are both in the 60kpsi  yield strength
range and will suffice for 80% of installations. Have you run the  numbers? The
Mast, Antenna and Rotator Calculator (MARC) program is available  from
Champion Radio Products for only ten bucks.

    As far as galvanizing, my local steel supplier  (EMJ) will deliver the
steel to the galvanizers and I just pick it up from them  when it's done. Do
a search and see if you have a local galvanizer.

    Other coatings will work too - even latex house  paint. Be careful with
any coating as it may be thick enough that it won't fit  thru the TB.

Cheers & GL,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH