Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 B-1/B-1S Baluns

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 B-1/B-1S Baluns
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 19:33:53 +0100
>>Not only that, but taping the choke to the boom is adding extra
>capacitance between one side of the driven element and the boom. In
other
>words, taping the "choke balun" directly to the boom is making the
antenna
>more UNbalanced!  It's amazing to watch people doing this...
>
>    So what else are you supposed to do with it?  It obviously isn't a
fatal
>problem.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve     K7LXC
>TOWER TECH

It obviously isn't a fatal problem, but taping a coil of coax directly
onto the boom will always UNbalance the antenna, more than balance it.

If you use a ferrite balun for the better broadband performance, then
the boom problem disappears as well, as I said yesterday and Geo N4UA
has kindly confirmed.

73 from Ian GM3SEK