[TowerTalk] C49 XR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] C49 XR
From: Randall K Martin <rkmassoc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 11:17:55 -0600
Roger,

A local ham W0YG had one up at around 100 feet before he decided to retire and move to a condo. It was a flamethrower, for sure. I saw it on the ground when I stopped in to pick up some tower sections he was selling. It is a monster antenna and not for the faint of heart. I have an older version EF 620/340 force 12 duo bander for 40 and 20 on a 44 foot boom, and the tribander is even bigger than my duobander. If I recall, the boom is 3 inch diameter.

With correct tramming technique, I have been able to raise and lower the duobander with one additional helper. Not sure I could do that with the C49XR.

The choice depends on what you plan on using the antenna for. I am mainly a contester, but I am also a DXer in between contests. If I had the 5500 to spend on the C49XR I would spend a few hundred dollars more and buy two C31 XR's instead and stack them. I've got a three stack of KT36XA's at 30/60/90 feet plus the duobander 40/20 at 120 feet. Kind of the best of both worlds. If I could only have one or the other, I would take the stack. Having the ability to switch between antennas at different elevations is a real asset for contesting. You'd be surprised at how often the XA at 60 feet will beat out either of the higher antennas, especially for 20M into Europe in the summer.

Charlie (W0YG) had a star bracket on his tower to handle the huge amount of torque generated by the C49XR. I have a star bracket on my Rohn 45 tower with the duobander and an Orion 2800 turning it.

The C31XR's don't need as beefy of rotator and you wouldn't need the star bracket. Of course, you'd need to purchase a ring rotor of some sort for the lower C31, so the overall cost might be higher.

73
Randy K0EU