Re: [TowerTalk] Need Help For Cable Runs To Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Help For Cable Runs To Tower
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 22:24:56 -0500
How high is up?, how long is a roll of string? These are two easy questions compared to the knock down drag out fights we have had over conduit, holes for drainage or no holes...

I have successfully glued PVC pipe that survived 100 plus PSI keeping water in and believe a good job on plastic conduit will keep water out. It is possible that if you don't seal the conduit well at the ends (I like GE Silicone rubber, the 50 year kind with no vinegar smell when curing) that over time condensation will potentially build up (maybe in Biloxi, Mississippi) but less likely in dry parts of California. I have a strong cord run through all of my conduits and can tie it into a continuous loop whenever I want. This is good for pulling a dry rag through the conduit to test for water. So far no water after a few years.

If I had a recurring condensation problem I could arrange for a periodic leak of dry air to be injected into the conduit as I have a refrigeration unit type air dryer on my shop air system. There are commercially available dehumidifier chemicals that could be used to absorb moisture. The silica-gel type can be recycled by heating in the oven over and over and don't "wear out."

My advice (risking being flamed...) is to do a good glue job plus seal the openings. If you opt for a desiccant, install "T" fittings so you don't have to reseal the ends with RTV every time you change the gel pak(s). Long run? Consider a "T" with a "riser" at intermediate distance(s.)

Note: Two conduits does not imply two failures to get a short since the wires will be insulated. You would need both wires to lose their insulation plus both conduits to fail and then a miracle migration of the wires so they could touch. Of course if you are a member of the drain hole camp and insist that bugs will sneeze into the conduit with sufficient force to get past the RTV then wire migration say during an earthquake could be a problem if the tower is still standing.

Disclaimer: I acknowledge that some folks have had water ingress into their conduit, that it is not a laughing matter, and that minor misinterpretations of the laws of physics are the likely root of the mistaken ideas propagated post water incident/disaster. ;) ;)

Patrick AF5CK

P.S. I am still working on taking down the 40 ft tower made of 4 1/2 inch tubing with 14 ft between the triangular legs at ground level. For those of you who have heard about some of our "interesting" weather you can understand a certain lack of alacrity in finishing that project. (I'm about 25 miles from ground zero of the latest Oklahoma tornados and the tower is closer. I was dong some prepping Sunday the day of the Shawnee twister and drove through the devastated area a couple hours before the devastation took place totally unaware of what was to come.

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Lux