Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 126, Issue 5 - VE7RF comments on a

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 126, Issue 5 - VE7RF comments on ant interaction
From: "Pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer@q.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 10:54:08 -0700
AHAAAAAAA ___ I just put up a Msquared 40M1L with the 17 meter "stinger" about 8 feet above a KT34 - on the ground and at 26 feet on my roof - everything looked normal (usual shift lower in freq close to ground ) - but when I put it up at 50 feet ( in line with the KT34 boom since my old 40M rotary dipole screwqed up the KT34 F/B on 15 meters badly), 17 meters became almost 2:1 and the SWR curve looked totally different from on the ground - was now about 1.8:1 from almost 17 mhz to 18350 !!!! . Before it had the typical SWR dip. (all measurements with VNA2180). While the crane was here , I started clipping off ends of the stingers and not much was happening , on the roof it followed the lengths as it should have. I quit because it was not moving appreciably and it was about $35crane time per clip . 40M followed factory dmensions closely .

Msquared says they have no data , not even a freq sweep at height by itself.

I did a simple EZNEC model of a 16 foot long 3 inch diameter boom with 15 foot elements at end and depending on how much capacitance (about 15 pfd and less) you put from the element center to the boom , you can move the boom resonance from around 15 mhz to about 19 mhz . So I suspected that was what was happening -- but all I got was a ten yard stare from M2 . (When I was working on the KT34 15 meter F/B , I ran hundreds of patterns with a source a mile away and looking at front to side - , F/S was a tad better on 20 and 15 with the ref and dir floating so I left it that way. Next time a crane is here I think I will put the straps on to connect the KT34 ref and dir to the boom and see what happens to 17M.

BTW the old 40 M KLM rotary dipole was 35 feet above and about 10 feet horizontally away from the KT34 while I was working on it , and it would move 15 M F/B from 19 dB to 6 dB or so and at different freq for best F/B as I rotated the dipole broadside or at end on to the signal source . I chased that one for several days until it dawned on me I was leaving the dipole at various positions as I tried to set the KT34 reflector resonances. I did not expect that much interaction at 35 feet away .

Sounds familiar -- Thanks VE7RF .

73 Hank K7HP

## You also have to be careful when 2 yagis are at right angles to each other. years ago, folks would try and use a KLM KT34XA with a KLM 3 el yagi.... it doesn?t work. 40 + 15m would interact badly..with both pointed in the same direction. If one yagi rotated 90 deg, the 40 + 15m interaction is now zero, but a new problem arises. The 32 foot long boom of the KT-34XA will screw up 20M band real bad !

## So the Fix was not to use the 3 el klm 40m yagi on the 32 foot boom,..... but to instead use the klm 4 el 40m yagi on the
42 foot boom.   Then when at right angles, no interaction on any band.