Re: [TowerTalk] COUPLE O' QUESTIONS

To: K0DAN <k0dan@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] COUPLE O' QUESTIONS
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:43:34 -0700

On 6/7/2013 9:07 AM, K0DAN wrote:
A friend out east who is not on this list is putting up a large
self-supporting motorized/tilt tower.

1) Some months ago I sent him a link showing how one of the Tower Talk
people had beefed up the tilt winch on his tower and done some slight
mods to the crank so that he could attach a heavy electric drill and use
for the muscle of tilting. I know this has been around before, but I
can't find it, and would appreciate if someone would send me the link.

I invented that.  He is my link:

http://www.n6rk.com/drill_adapter_for_winch/drill_adapter_for_winch.html

You basically replace the existing nut with a "coupling nut" for your
drill's wrench socket adapter.  This works clockwise, but unscrews if
you try to go counterclockwise.  I realized that this is easily fixed
by dropping a box wrench over the coupling nut and strapping the wrench
to the handle, The drill turns the socket, the socket turns the coupling nut, the coupling nut turns the wrench, and the wrench turns
the handle.  Sounds complicated but its obvious, once you see it.

Also there was another ham who was using a boat lift hoist, and this
info (and any similar) would also be appreciated.

See this reference on boat lifts:

http://www.w4abc.com/drive.html

I recently replaced my drill driven hand winch with a boat lift
winch.  I will be posting photos and details on www.n6rk.com this
weekend.  I worked with Ricky at Lunmar Boat Lifts.  Highly recommended,
at least if you have a ridiculously large tower like mine.

Rick N6RK