Re: [TowerTalk] When To Replace Tower Cable???

To: towertalk@contesting.com, fred.hurd@cox.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] When To Replace Tower Cable???
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:08:13 -0400 (EDT)
>  This seems to be a constant question for those of us who  have crank-up
towers. How can you tell when it is time to replace the cable?  Some say
that
it's too late when rust appears as the cables  weaken from  the inside out.
Is that true? Others say if you lubricate the cable twice a  year it will
last forever? Is that true? Does anyone know the  truth?

    You bet. There is an excellent chapter in UP THE  TOWER on crank-ups
and their related topics.

    There are 3 conditions that determine whether the  cables need
replacing. 1) Excessive broken strands. Out of a 7x19 typical wire  rope, you
can
have up to 6 broken strands and 3 in the same bundle and still be  within
spec. 2) Damage where the cable has been flattened or kinked. 3)  Excessive
rust. Not everyday simple surface rust but the real cancerous kind.

    My experience has been that I've only seen one  crank-up with cables
that genuinely needed replacing so if you are a crank-up  owner, chances that
you have to replace the cables are slim to  none.

    I've seen really mature crank-ups (20-25 years+)  where the cables were
just fine and didn't meet any of the aforementioned  replacement criteria.

    Replacing cables that don't need it (besides being  time-consuming) is
analogous to folks who buy chromoly masts when they don't  need them. Both
are basically a waste of money.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH