[TowerTalk] Tower Replacement - what would you do?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Replacement - what would you do?
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:13:02 -0400
As many of you know, my LM-354HD broke a cable and crashed recently from a
fully extended position. The reason for the crash is that the previous
owner had provided the wrong replacement cable for the tower. I was luck in
that my beam was not on the tower at the time, but the tower is a mess.

I've been looking for a replacement that would fit on the current base -
RCB-70 in a robust base as specified for the LM-470 and the LM-354HD. No
towers in good shape have popped up.

A while back, I reached out to Tashjian and learned that freight from their
factory to my place is about $3,000 - more than half the cost of the
replacement tower itself.

My questions for the group:

1. Has anyone engineered a way to use the Tri-Ex/Tashjian base for another
tower? Aluma tower is relatively close by and, if I could make the current
base work, I would save shipping and have a lighter "temporary
installation" tower that is light enough to easily move.

2. Has anyone worked out a way to save shipping costs from Tashjian? For
example, if two or more people from the same geographical region (or on the
path to Tashjian's facility?) ordered towers, they could hire or take their
own truck and trailer.

I'd appreciate the group's thoughts on the above.
--
Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL