Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Screw Anchor Experience

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Screw Anchor Experience
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 23:50:15 -0400
On 6/20/2013 12:38 PM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
What I have seen, it is only the portion closest to the surface that corrodes. I have
found iron pieces buried for hundred of years with only slight corrosion. Scrap iron,
stored laying on the ground, has almost disappeared in no time. I believe it is a
combination of water, "dirt", and air that is causing this.

Prolonged exposure to air and moisture are needed for corrosion. The "chemicals" in the soil along with the PH, "May" accelerate the process considerably. Dissimilar metals will accelerate the process as will a complete circuit of tower, guy, anchor, moist soil, tower. It's "likely adding an insulator to the guy near the anchor will greatly reduce the corrosion.

When installing fence with steel poles, a concrete "plate" is made around the
pole just at the surface. It is sloped on the top to allow water run-off. If you don't do
that the pole will corrode at the surface and eventually break there.

I'm not sure of the kind of fence you are referring to. I have run miles of page wire fence with no concrete with no resulting post corrosion. OTOH I've seen short runs of fence that were almost holding the posts up. The bottom end of the posts was nearly gone. Again leading me to believe that much depended on the makeup of the soil. These were not wet or marshy areas. I've also run miles of electric fence, but those are really just a bunch of isolated fence posts.

The rebar in concrete is "protected" by the concrete but will corrode if too close to the
surface. In the same way the fence pole is "protected" by the concrete plate.

Maybe some concrete poured around anchor can extend the life-expectancy of the
anchor.

Now I'm going to violate all the rules.

In the past, I've put up many short towers with dirt bases and nothing more than steel fence posts (often with a second plate welded on a foot or so above the original) driven into the ground so the guy wire formed at least a 90 degree (or more) angle to the post. the guy was anchored to the posts just above ground level (maybe an inch) with a saddle).

I had 5L 20 meter KLM, 6L 15 meter KLM, and a 7L Wilson on these 40 foot towers. Remember the load on the guys for a 40 foot tower are quite a bit less than a 50 footer and far less than a 60 footer.

Guying requirements go up rapidly with height.

As for the tower base on a guyed tower, it only serves two rather easy functions. It provides support to keep the tower from sinking into the ground and to keep the base from sliding sideways. Something easily accomplished with a good dirt base even for a 60 foot, guyed tower IF the soil is up to it. I never used concrete on a tower base until I put up the 90 footer and I doubt it was more than about 5 bags of Quick Creet. IE, Not much!

73

Roger (K8RI)

Next: What method or how would you inspect an anchor for corrosion damages?
Just digging around it?

Hans - N2JFS