Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Replacement - what would you do?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, wk1w@ivanshapiro.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Replacement - what would you do?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 13:26:07 -0400 (EDT)
>>  K7LXC wrote:

>>  Installing just about any kind of base in an existing  base is easy.
Just
rent a rotary hammer and coring bit and drill new holes  for your new anchor
bolts. Use industrial epoxy to glue them in and you're  good to go.

>  I wanted to ask Steve the following about this post:

>  Steve:  I imagine you would not recommend the above for  a tower that
lays
down, like a US TOWER HDX series.  The vector forces  would be quite
different from a strictly vertical that doesn't lay down. Am I  correct?

    No. Not being an engineer I can't comment  authoritatively. But I
suspect the forces on a tower that's being lowered from  vertical to horizontal
is significantly less than the same tower  vertical in a big wind. The anchor
rod epoxy is stronger than the concrete  so I don't see any reason why you
couldn't do it.

    I've used the above technique many times and I  think that all of the
towers of interest for this were crank-ups.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs