Re: [TowerTalk] static

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] static
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 05:41:27 -0700
On 7/7/13 5:15 AM, K1TTT wrote:
I use molex inside... but if you take a close look at powerpoles you will
find that it is easy to assembly custom polarized connectors with just about
any number of wires you want.  The trick is you have to realize that the
sides of the connectors are meant to be locked together with the little
dovetail joints.  And since there are dovetails on all 4 sides they can be
polarized by turning one 90 degrees from the other(s) so they will only go
together one way.  After sliding a couple together you can lock them with a
wire through the little half rounds near the bottom that line up to form a
nice little locking hole or for more permanent applications use a drop of
glue.

Very clever.. I had accidentally done this, and glued it, and discovered that I had just built a connector that could not mate with the intended other end. It didn't occur to me that you could do this deliberately to make a T shaped connection, for instance.

One problem with making large powerpole conglomerations is that they start to get kind of "flexible" because the mechanical gaps start to add up. Another earlier poster showed a picture of a housing that would go around 8 powerpoles in a 2x4 arrangement, and that would be a great way to do it.

Once you have the tooling for powerpoles, they're a pretty nice connector, at least for assembly. I have a terrible time removing the wire from the connector, and usually just cut it off and throw it away if I make a mistake or decide that I need to change things.