Re: [TowerTalk] Sourcing PVC

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sourcing PVC
From: Art Greenberg <art@artg.tv>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 09:39:16 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
If you go to the big box store for 4-inch S&D pipe, be sure to look at the markings. If it is ASTM-D2729 or SDR-35, it is not a so-called "IPS" compatible pipe. Make sure you get compatible fittings! You'll want large radius sweeps for 90-degree bends.

All IPS pipe sizes have the same actual outside diameter for a given trade size. Schedule 40 and schedule 80 are IPS sizes. So fittings might be easier to find. You can find IPS pipe in thinner wall than Schedule 40. Pipes maked SDR-xx (except for the SDR-35) are IPS sizes. The larger the number, the thinner the wall. Check with a local plumbing or irrigation supply for SDR-41 or SDR-61 (the later having almost the same wall thickness as 2729 pipe).

All electrical conduit is IPS sized, so you can use conduit sweeps with white IPS pipe, and this might actually be the easiest, though not necessarily cheapest, way to acquire large radius sweeps.