Re: [TowerTalk] Fall arrest gear for sale on Tower Talk

To: knowkode@verizon.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fall arrest gear for sale on Tower Talk
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:37:08 -0400 (EDT)
>      I had mixed feelings about responding to a current thread  on Tower
Talk. Jim, W7RY had posted a for sale thread of both new and used  personal
safety gear. I have no issue with Jim, just the sale of used safety  gear on
this or any other list. My personal opinion is that any used item only  has
word of mouth to speak for its history. A visual inspection of the piece in
 question will not always reveal an incident. Personal safety should be
first and  foremost on the mind of anyone seeking to purchase gear and buying
used  equipment to save a few bucks is penny wise and pound foolish. Safety
gear  should be viewed as an insurance policy and money spent for good
quality new  gear is an investment in one's own life. To skimp on safety gear
is
an  unnecessary and foolish gamble. Buy new, good quality gear from a
reputable  vender. Keep the gear in good, clean condition. Inspect it before
and
after each  and every use.  That being said, I would like to see the listing
of used  safety gear for sale added to the taboo list.

Howdy --

    These are good  comments to a recent post so I hope you don't mind that
I've forwarded them to  TT.

    First, we don't  have a taboo list of anything although sometimes we
should - hi.

    All of your  points are worth considering. I'm sure that many
TowerTalkians are out of  compliance when it comes to safety equipment so
buying used
high quality safety  gear might be a step up for some folks.

    But of course  one should be very careful about buying and using used
safety equipment - or  anything else that's mission critical to a project.

Cheers,
Steve       K7LXC
TOWER TECH
and