Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:56:46 -0700
On 7/16/13 8:45 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

Please explain why.  I understand why the rebar should not penetrate the
soil/concrete interface, but I don't understand at all why a copper wire
shouldn't.

small crack with capillary action. The thermal coefficient of expansion is also different, so you have the possibility of the crevice getting bigger and smaller with every thermal cycle. Once you get liquid water in there, then you have all sorts of potential problems. Above grade, you don't get water standing at the join, so the problem is less than below grade.

I suppose that a AWG4 copper wire sticking out is probably less of a problem than a 1/2" steel rebar. Smaller area to worry about, copper is less corrodable than iron, etc.

And you see small steel wires and nails sticking out (e.g. from forms that have been stripped off, etc.) so it's probably not a killer.