Re: [TowerTalk] lightening Strikes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightening Strikes
From: "Skip K3CC" <k3cc@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 08:31:31 -0400
It's good to have humor in the thread.

Many years ago our company looked into the disposal and reuse of concrete. I had done lab test inducing high voltage and high current into concrete. The theory was that the electro-chemical reaction would separate the concrete into some of it's components. Some test were done at a Colorado facility with streamers from ground to cloud lightening. The concrete did fracture and in some cases exploded. The cases that exploded were concrete that had rebar through the broken concrete. There can be many answers why it happened . Possible reaction of water into Hydrogen and Oxygen, or other explosive gases produced. The bottom line is that the amount of energy produced from a lightening strike is enormous.

Fast forward from the 1975 to today. On going research a few years ago repeated our experiments. I think a German company now has a process were they reuse, separate, the concrete by an electricity.

A direct strike on the tower would discharge the energy to ground through the base to ground. Even if the concrete base would not explode, it would be weaken enough to fail.

Skip  K3CC