Re: [TowerTalk] remote tuner Vs lumped constants

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] remote tuner Vs lumped constants
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 11:53:30 -0700
On 7/24/2013 11:25 AM, K8RI wrote:

The fan dipole on 75 can  give much wider, usable areas.
With SS amps I'd like to be able to QSY with all the knob twisting.

Yes. It's easy to make wire spreaders by cutting 1/2-in PVC conduit into 18-in lengths and drilling holes for the wires. If one of the wires is bare copper, the spreaders can be held in place with wire looped across the spreader and soldered. I use hard drawn copper that I "make" by buying #8 bare copper from a big box store, tying one end around a tree and the other around a trailer hitch, and slowly stretching it until it breaks. The resulting hard drawn copper has stretched by roughly 10%.

I consider copperweld antenna wire a terrible choice for serious antenna work. My neighbor, W6GJB, built a 2-wire fan dipole using copperweld and RG8, and hoisted it between a couple of redwoods with pulleys on both ends and a weight on one end. It was on the ground the next day -- the copperweld broke. We rebuilt it with the hard drawn copper.

The Power Point shows another elegantly simple and effective method of broadbanding many resonant antennas that W6NL teaches in his classes at Stanford. With SimSmith, you can simultaneously model both SWR and loss, making it easy to optimize a design.

73, Jim K9YC