Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup tower safety question... (Crankup Danger!)

To: EZ Rhino <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup tower safety question... (Crankup Danger!)
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 20:57:32 -0400
Okay, after some searching I found the thread entitled "How to apply lube
to HDX589
" and references to a Versatower lock. No wonder I missed it!

I'm prepared to go to some effort to build or adapt a solution. My chosen
tower will be (providing the wind load calcs work) a US Tower HDX-555.

Any specific suggestions? Does anyone have photos of the Versatower
solution that they could send me?

My first thought is to have a spring loaded bolt throw (from inside
sections out?) or brake on the tower leg that is normally engaged and would
require hand tension to disengage. A rope would need to be routed down
inside the tower to a pulley that turned the tension rope out... or it
could be done with an electric solenoid, and perhaps an arduino to make
sure the tower is in a controlled descent.

The down side, and the engineering trick, is to make sure the tower can be
lowered from the ground in the event of a malfunction.

Thanks,

Mickey N4MB