[TowerTalk] Lightning Surge protection?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Surge protection?
From: F5vjc <foxfive.vjc@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 22:47:31 +0200
My home built remote antenna switch, DC over coax with steering diodes to
select various antennas was recently damaged by  nearby lightning surges.
This destroyed decoupling caps and steering diodes at both the antenna end
and the shack control box. I have now replaced the components with higher
Voltage types and all is working again.

My question,  what type of surge limiting components could I fit to try to
 avoid this type of damage in the future? I am not familiar with these type
of components but they seem to be fitted in commercial Antenna switch boxes.
Not of course thinking of direct lightning hits but induced transient
surges.

Thanks,
73 F5VJC