Re: [TowerTalk] FIRST TOWER & 2ND FLOOR SHACK --HELP

To: "'K8RI'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FIRST TOWER & 2ND FLOOR SHACK --HELP
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 22:33:14 -0500

The main reason to ground the coax at the top and bottom of the tower is so
it doesn't arc to the tower. The tower being large will have a lower
impedance to ground than that of the coax and will allow less voltage
differential between top and bottom.

There will be a propagation delay between the center conductor and the
shield of the coax therefore there will be a voltage differential at the
bottom of the coax between the center conductor and shield. The lightning
energy will propagate inside of the coax just like a regular radio wave
does.

If you have a short at the top of the coax between center conductor and
shield such as a vhf loop antenna, the lightning energy still will be
present on the center conductor by the time it reaches the bottom of the
coax. This is due partly because the skin effect isolation between the
outside shield and the inside of the shield falls apart at lower frequencies
and allows some current to flow on the inside of the shield as well as the
outside of the shield.
Also the resistance of the shield will allow a voltage drop along its
surface which will allow coupling to the inside of the shield. This is
called the transfer impedance of the cable. Google "transfer impedance" for
more info.
These factors are why a protection device (polyphaser) is needed at the end
of  the coax run near the equipment at the single point ground.

73
Gary K4FMX