Re: [TowerTalk] Adding guys to self supporting towers

To: Richard Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Adding guys to self supporting towers
From: Hector Garcia XE2K <j_hector_garcia@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 15:05:27 -0700 (PDT)
Rick

I install a Trylon  T-200  96ft   like 9 years ago for a client who in that
time  he was in the need for 2 or maybe 3  at most wireless links using  60 cms
dish antennas very light in weight
5 years later the tower was loaded with  14 of those ( great news for my
wallet, but my mind was not very relax thinking in overload tower)  and later a
new ISP in town  install  a 10ghz  3ft dish  like 100 pounds all  at 65ft   to
provide broadband
internet to this client,  weeks later they complaint about some loss  in windy
days around 20-25 mph  and significant loss when winds over 30 mph where
present,  just in the 10ghz antenna.
 My recommendation was to  add 3 guy wires  below the dish and works  perfect
with winds gust over 50 mhp and my  mind rest , but 2 years later 2 more  ISP
 add 1 similar antennas  just above the other and other at 80ft smaller but
 little heavy
when saw that push the client to  get another set of guy wires at 80ft level,
 to avoid  movement and  the collapse of the tower in a worst case scenario

The guys wires  are  simple  philly 1200  and 3/8 turnbuckles  just with the
minimum tension  on the tower using custom made guy  brackets , the anchors are
elevated and  far from the tower  and the tension on the guy wires  is just the
minimum needed
to  keep the tower stable.

I'm not engineer  but  apply the logic and  caution in this "solution"  and is
working , and do not see  why can  not be used in others tower,  yes the HBX
are too light for that on extreme weather, maybe  swapping all the rivets for
bolts and nuts. moving the
rotor to the lower part of the tower and adding a special custom made  anti
sway bracket, 6 guys and big separation anchors from the tower base,  can work,
but  can be more expensive than get a real tower like  heavy Trylon or  AN
tower  to fight the torque

This is my experience and my practical idea

J.Hector Garcia  XE2K / AD6D
Mexicali B.C  DM22fp / El Centro
P.O.Box 73
El Centro CA 92244-0073