Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x7' hole in sandy soil

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x7' hole in sandy soil
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 01:16:53 +0000

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 02:28:30 +0000 Brian Alsop <alsopb@nc.rr.com> writes:
> On Long Island, we had sandy soil.  The 40'tower EZway wonder post
> was
> installed.  It was an unsatisfactory installation.  The wonder post
> had
> to be braced when cranking tilting the tower up or down.  Not doing
> so
> caused it to end up 30 degrees out of plumb.

The sand there was most likely beach sand composed of rounded
grains that can "slip by" each other.  The fine sand, recommened
to me by EZ way in ~1973, has "sharp" grains that really pack
together and leave virtually no voids if it is "washed in" with water.

> Sandy soil requires the assessment and recommendation from a local
> professional engineer who knows the local soil conditions.

Yes.  If there is any doubt.

73,
Charlie, N0TT