Re: [TowerTalk] Method of calculating phase delay variation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Method of calculating phase delay variation
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 17:11:19 -0700
On 9/3/2013 4:34 PM, Roger Parsons wrote:
'In-phase' or 'out-of-phase' feeds are precise statements

No, they are vague, and poorly understood.

that have been understood by engineers of many  disciplines (but apparently not
pro-audio) for a great deal more than thirty years.

Yes, but they are WRONG! Pro audio engineers incorrectly used those words until we learned to use the right one about 30 years ago. And yes, some old farts still refuse to learn new stuff. Minds like a steel trap -- rusted shut. :) BTW -- the guy who led the charge to help us understand this was Richard Heyser, whose day gig was at JPL, where he worked on communications for the space program. Among other things, he invented Time Delay Spectrometry. Dick died of cancer in 1986.

Pro audio is FAR more advanced than most RF engineers suspect, and FAR more time in the woodshed learning new stuff is required to keep up than in the world of RF. Think about it -- we think an antenna is really great if it is behaved over a 10 % bandwidth, but sound transducers must produce a well controlled response over a three DECADE bandwidth. In the RF world, we need only be concerned with propagation one one frequency at a time, but sound engineers must be aware of acoustic conditions over nearly three decades of frequency (and there is huge variation over that range). Sound engineers must deal with a dynamic range of 100 dB in a quiet listening or recording environment, and attaining that sort of signal to noise ratio requires noise rejection at least 10 dB better than that.

You think DSP radios are advanced? We've been using DSP extensively in pro audio for 20 years, and for systems FAR more complex than any DSP or SDR radios I've seen or read about.

73, Jim K9YC