Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-gain Hy-Tower versus 53 ft Vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-gain Hy-Tower versus 53 ft Vertical
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 14:04:32 -0400

> I began to wonder if not just a 53 ft vertical with
> auto-tuner at the base might be just as effective?

The issue would be matching on 30 meters since that is relatively
close to 1/2 wave there and lobe structure above 30 meters.

> And finally, if the HyTower is better, any thoughts on adding similar
> decoupling stubs to a 53 ft aluminum telescopic mast?

Now you're talking about something similar to the "Hy-Tower Jr."
   http://www.hy-gain.com/Product.php?productid=AV-18HTJR
although it's only about 40' tall.

For simplicity, I would consider 55 feet but sturdy enough to handle
a 10 or 12 foot "spreader" (or two) capable of supporting parallel
wire verticals for some of the other bands.  Whether one makes them
non resonant (e.g. 22' and 44') and allow the tuner to handle things
or makes them resonant (e.g. 33, 21, 16, 11), install traps in some
of them or builds stub tuned verticals from "window line" are all
trade-offs for the designer.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV