Re: [TowerTalk] Ground level rotator mounting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground level rotator mounting
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 17:58:06 -0500
Doug,

i have a homebrewed kludge.

I have a Prop Pitch rotor mounted about 4 ft from the bottom of my 50Ft.
tower.
On the top is a TH6 about 4 ft above the tip of the tower.
10 ft above that is a 14 el 2m beam. Then 2 ft above that is a 144/220/440
J=Pole.
All above the tower rotates together.

My mast is made with sections of 1 1/2" Galvanized water pipe.
In my case, I installed/assembled the mast as I raised the tower.
After assembly I drilled each coupling and installed two 1/4" bolts to keep
the
threads from coming loose.

This is a very heavy setup. I have suspended the mast with steel cable
attached
near the bottom and about 20ft up the tower. I adjust the height with a
turnbuckle
until there is no weight on the rotor in the mid rotation. As it rotates it
actually
lifts the assembly slightly so the rotor never feels any weight through
 the entire rotation.

I installed two Phenolic retaining plates (@20 & 40 ft) to keep the mast
centered.
These are about 6 in square with holes cut in the center and mounted with
angle
iron between tower legs. These are loose fit, nothing scientific.

This setup has been in continuous operation at this QTH since 1997.

    73s de Jim
       W5IFP